THE STORY IN THE BEGINNING
(Updated March 19,2012): After all these years, we have been through so much that we thought it would be good to stop and recap what happened
in the beginning.
- On Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 there was a public meeting held where Mayor Tom Schilly announced that agreements had been
made, in principle, to put an iron ore smelter on the old PPG property in Crystal City. The city would buy the
property from PPG and then lease it to Wings Enterprises.
- On Monday, September 10th, 2007 the City Council voted 7-0 in favor of giving Mayor Schilly the
authority to sign the sales and lease agreements. The Mayor signed those agreements that same night.
- On Monday, October 8th, an overflow crowd came to City Hall for the City Council meeting. The City Council
voted 6-2 in favor of slowing down the closing of the sales and lease agreements in order to review the agreements and
to review other options.
- On Monday, October 15th, 2007 the City Council met with Wings Enterprises and their associates in a closed session.
- On Monday, October 22nd, 2007 the City Council voted 5-3 in favor of continuing the purchase and lease agreements as planned.
- On Sunday, November 11th, 2007 the Concerned Citizens for Crystal City announce their intention to take legal action.
- On Monday, November 12th, 2007 the City Council voted 4-3 in favor of continuing the purchase and lease agreements as planned.
Mayor Schilly announces intention to have a public meeting before closing on the PPG land.
- On Monday, November 19th, 2007 the City Council voted to extend the due diligence period for the closing on the PPG land
by two weeks and to cancel the special City Council meeting they scheduled for the next day, Tuesday, November 20th.